PyQt4 designer custom properties - combo box style

Andrew andrewt.herd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 04:32:58 EST 2010

On Feb 4, 2:59 pm, David Boddie <da... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 February 2010 22:25, Andrew wrote:
>
> > I am creating custom widgets for the PyQt4 Designer. I can create
> > custom properties, but I'm looking for how to create a custom property
> > that has a combo box drop down. I've seen them in the example widgets
> > and tried following them, but they are using pre-defined items to
> > populate their property, so it's not a very clear example of how to
> > get the combo box property to work.
>
> Can you explain a bit more about what you have seen and what you are
> trying to do. Are you trying to create a property that is treated
> specially by Designer or do you want to get the data for the combo
> box from somewhere else?

I'm attempting to create a drop down property for a custom widget I'm
creating. So when in designer and you scroll down to the custom
properties, under the regular widget properties, one of them would be
a drop down menu. The data to populate it will be coming from our API
and currently is a list of string-items. Yes, it would be treated
specially by Designer, since it's the only place it would be seen.

In the PyQt4\examples\designer folder, it carries a number of custom
widgets that will load into designer. The datetimeedit widget creates
a custom drop down menu property. The plugin pulls its information
from the QtCore libraries and from the QCalander Widget. Though I am
unable to find a better example or even explanation of how it's
actually creating that drop down menu.

> > Is there any other examples or help for this kind of setup?
>
> Have you seen this article?
>
>  http://qt.nokia.com/doc/qq/qq26-pyqtdesigner.html

No, I haven't, thanks. That might step in the right direction. I can't
run it right now, so I'm not sure if it is putting a spinbox as it's
property or just the value from the spin box.

> David

Andrew