which

mk mrkafk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 10:15:59 EST 2010

Jean-Michel Pichavant wrote:

> What is worrying me the most in your code sample is that self.cmd can
> hold diferrent types (str, and something else). That is usually a bad
> thing to do (putting None aside).
> However, my remark could be totally irrelevant of course, that depends
> on the context.

That's a valid criticism - but I do not know how to handle this
otherwise really, because the program can be called with "cmd" to run,
or a script to run (or a directory to copy) and in those cases cmd is None.

I guess I could use

if cmd:
	self.cmd = ...

But. Suppose that under some circumstances cmd is not string. What then?

I know that isinstance is typically not recommended, but I don't see
better solution here.

Regards,
mk