C:\Python25\Lib\IDLELIB\idle.pyw won't start

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Fri Feb 5 08:49:53 EST 2010

Anthra Norell <anthra.norell at bluewin.ch> wrote:

>> Using pythonw.exe will start the program with all error output dumped in
>> the bit bucket. Running from a command prompt with python.exe will at
>> least let you see if there are any errors.
>>
> python.exe from the command line works all right in a DOS window. The
> problem must be with  idle.pyw. I tried the old idle.pyw (2.4) with the
> new python.exe. (2.5) and that didn't work either.
> What is the bit bucket? If I had a clue, I could go from there. What
> puzzles me is that version 2.4 has been working fine and one wouldn't
> think that the changes from 2.4 to 2.5 would be so extensive as to cause
> a major malfunction. For the time being 2.4 works fine. I'd much prefer
> 2.5, though, because it includes the image library (PIL), whereas 2.4
> cannot even use it.

Bit bucket: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_bucket

If you are seeing nothing at all when running it with python.exe instead of
pythonw.exe then something bizarre must be happening.

My guess would have been that you had a problem importing something: e.g.
if Tkinter isn't installed properly then running Idle under pythonw.exe
would exit with an error message but you wouldn't see the error message.
However since you don't see an error message when running it with
python.exe it isn't that.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas for now.