Passing command line argument to program from within IDLE?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Feb 4 18:29:14 EST 2010

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 16:28:17 -0500, Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> Terry Reedy wrote:
>>> I presume you mean edit, F5-run, see result in shell window. Set
>>> sys.argv in test function or __name__=='__main__' In 3.1 idle shell:

>>> ['']
>>> ['abc', 'dev']
>>>
>>> I did not know it was writable, either, until I tried it.
>>>
>> As a solution, however, that sucks, wouldn't you agree?
>
> [scratches head]
>
> Do you mean setting sys.argv as a solution sucks? No, I don't, I think it
> is grand. If sys.argv was unmodifiable, *that* would suck.
>
> Or do you mean that trying it as a solution to the problem of answering
> the OP's question sucks? Well, no, experimentation is good for answering
> these sorts of questions, and I can't assume that the documentation will
> cover every imaginable use-case, or that users will find it. In the
> absence of any documentation stating otherwise, I would have assumed that
> sys.argv was an ordinary list which you can modify at will, but having
> been caught out on faulty assumptions before, I would try it and see
> before commenting publicly.

What I meant was it sucks that IDLE has no way to fill in sys.argv as a
part of its "Run Module" functionality - something that is present in
both PythonWin and Wing IDE, for example. But then I have come to the
conclusion that IDLE doesn't fit my brain, or my brain doesn't fit it.

That sys.argv is mutable simply reflects the fact that it's a list.

regards
 Steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/