Common area of circles

Gary Herron gherron at islandtraining.com
Thu Feb 4 11:46:27 EST 2010

Gerard Flanagan wrote:

>>     On 2/4/2010 7:05 AM, Shashwat Anand wrote:
>>
>>         I want to calculate areas.
>>         like for two circles (0, 0) and (0, 1) : the output is
>> '1.228370'
>>
>>         similarly my aim is to take 'n' co-ordinates, all of radius
>> '1' and
>>         calculate the area common to all.
>>         The best I got was monte-carlo methods which is inefficient. Is
>>         there
>>         any other approach possible.
>>

> A brute force approach - create a grid of small squares and calculate
> which squares are in all circles. I don't know whether it is any
> better than monte-carlo:

That's just what the monte-carlo method is -- except the full family of
monte-carlo methods can be quite sophisticated, including being more
general (pseudo or quasi random points instead of a regular grid) and
can provide a theoretical basis for calculating the rate of convergence,
and so on.

Gary Herron