Building a multiline string

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Feb 4 07:31:01 EST 2010

lallous wrote:
> Hello
>
> Maybe that's already documented, but it seems the parser accepts to
> build a long string w/o really using the first method:
>
> # Method1
> x = "line1" + \ # cannot use comments!
> "line2"+ \
> "line3"
>
> and instead using a list with one element like this:
>
> # Method2
> x = [
> "line1" # can use comments
> "line2"
> "line3"
> ][0]
>
> Or:
> # Method3
> x = (
> "line1" # can use comments
> "line2"
> "line3"
> )
>
> (Not that I don't want new lines in the strings)
>
> Now should I be using method 2 or 3 in production code?

I should have thought it was pretty obvious that method 2 creates a list
and then performs an indexing operation on it. These are completely
unnecessary operations, which are avoided in method 3 which is a simple
parenthesised expression.

So why anyone would want to adopt method 2, which is also mess clear as
source code, is beyond me.

regards
 Steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/