Dreaming of new generation IDE

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 16:27:48 EST 2010

On 2010-02-03 14:40 PM, Robert wrote:
> Vladimir Ignatov wrote:
>> dynamic-type languages. Instead of current text-oriented IDEs, it
>> should be a database-centric and resemble current CAD systems instead
>> of being just "fancy text editor". Source text should be an output
>> product of that CAD and not a "source material" itself.
>
> can you sketch an example/use case more concretely?

I believe that Smalltalk came pretty close to what Vladimir is asking for. You
wrote the methods as linear plain text, but you used the GUI three pane class
browser to define and navigate classes. You could export class definitions to a
text file and read them back in, but in Vladimir's terms, the text files were
not the "source material" themselves.

   http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/wolfgang.kreutzer/cosc205/smalltalk1.html

--
Robert Kern