Wrap a function

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 15:41:43 EST 2010

Ben Finney wrote:
> Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> writes:

>>> No. I've a function that uses subprocess to run commands on the same
>>> shell and so substitute to bash scrips. But a script full of run
>>> ("shell_command --with --arguments") is too verbose.
>>>
>> 	I shall blaspheme, and suggest that maybe the language you want
>> to use is REXX (ooREXX or Regina).
>>

> Heh. That isn't blasphemy, because no true Pythonista [0] would claim
> Python to be the god of that domain.
>
> It's no sin to say that Python isn't a good choice for specific things;
> and “I want to write programs by indistinguishably mixing statements
> with external system calls” is one of them, IMO
>From
http://stromberg.dnsalias.org/~dstromberg/debugging-with-syscall-tracers.html#terminology

    A quick note on terminology: open() is typically a system call.
    fopen is probably never a system call - instead, it is a function in
    the C library that wraps open(), making open() easier to use. Then
    there's the system() function - like fopen(), it isn't really a
    system call, despite its name. Rather, it is a C library function
    that typically will wrap the fork() and exec*() system calls.