Dreaming of new generation IDE

Phlip phlip2005 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 14:38:57 EST 2010

On Feb 3, 10:57 am, Adam Tauno Williams <awill... at opengroupware.us>
wrote:

> > Current editors suck because they can't see into the code and browse
> > it - unless it's so statically typed it's painful.
>
> ?  I edit Python in MonoDevelop  2.2;  and I can browse my file,
> classes, etc...  So I don't know what you mean by "can't see into the
> code".  It works pretty well.
>
> Of course it can't tell that I've set x = {an integer}, as that only
> happens at runtime.
>
> > That's why I wrote this:
> > http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2008/05/dynamic_languages_vs_editors.html

You just said that your code browsing "works pretty well, except when
it doesn't".

Hence my blog entry. If your editor analyzed your code at runtime,
instead of just static analysis, then it could see that x = an
integer, or an object, no matter how dynamic your language.

--
  Phlip
  http://zeekland.zeroplayer.com/Uncle_Wiggilys_Travels/1