Dreaming of new generation IDE

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Wed Feb 3 13:24:43 EST 2010

Vladimir Ignatov <kmisoft at gmail.com> writes:

> Finally I develop a feeling that strong instrumentation / tools can
> bring us the best of two worlds. That I am dreaming on is an absolute
> new type/class of IDE suitable for Python and potentially for other
> dynamic-type languages. Instead of current text-oriented IDEs, it
> should be a database-centric and resemble current CAD systems instead
> of being just "fancy text editor". Source text should be an output
> product of that CAD and not a "source material" itself.

Your idea is certainly not new. Moreover, I've been using such an IDE
and implemented support for a (small) language in it:

   Programs are hierarchical compositions of formulae satisfying
   structural and extra-structural relationships. A program editor can
   use knowledge of such relationships to detect and provide immediate
   feedback about violations of them. The Synthesizer Generator is a
   tool for creating such editors from language descriptions. An editor
   designer specifies the desired relationships and the feedback to be
   given when they are violated, as well as a user interface; from the
   specification, the Synthesizer Generator creates a full-screen editor
   for manipulating programs in the language.

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=390010.808247

It might be a good start to read as much as possible on the Synthesizer
Generator if you want to write such an IDE for Python. I am sure you
could write such an IDE in the Synthesizer Generator, but I have no idea
if it's still available. And back when I used it (at university) one had
to pay for it, and most likely was closed source as well.

See also: http://www.google.com/search?q=synthesizer%20generator

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/