Dreaming of new generation IDE

Marco Salden marco.salden at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:18:40 EST 2010

On Feb 3, 12:10 pm, Vladimir Ignatov <kmis... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am sitting here for quite some time, but usually keep silent ;-) I
> use Python since 2003 both "professionally" and for my hobby projects
> and love it a much.
> I notice however, that "maintaining" existing/older python code is may
> be not so enjoyable task. It may be even harder than supporting old
> code written in some type of "static" languages (like Java or C++).
> Surely "dynamic" nature of python comes with price.
>
> Finally I develop a feeling that strong instrumentation / tools can
> bring us the best of two worlds. That I am dreaming on is an absolute
> new type/class of IDE suitable for Python and potentially for other
> dynamic-type languages. Instead of current text-oriented IDEs, it
> should be a database-centric and resemble current CAD systems instead
> of being just "fancy text editor". Source text should be an output
> product of that CAD and not a "source material" itself.
>
> Well. I understand that it is a very ambitious and experimental stuff.
> Great efforts and motivation needed even to get something "runnable".
> So I am looking for someone to get in kind of "virtual partnership".
> If someone interesting it that soft of stuff, I would like to talk and
> discuss this system.
>
> Vladimir Ignatov

The maintenance thing may be true but for me that doesn't outweigh the
clear benefits I get from using Python i.s.o. e.g. C++: the fact that
I have much less code that is more compact and for me more directly
readable is a clear advantage when doing maintance on code I didnt
touch for a while. Documenting the essential parameters used with some
examples and some logging helps (for me at least...).

The type of IDE you are looking for is more something like Rational
Rose (e.g. RRT?) type of tooling perhaps? There you "CAD" components
and their statebehavior and the system generates C or C++ code.

Regards,
Marco