How to guard against bugs like this one?

kj no.email at please.post
Wed Feb 3 08:52:03 EST 2010

Steve, I apologize for the snarkiness of my previous reply to you.
After all, I started the thread by asking the forum for advice on
how to avoid a certain kind of bugs, you were among those who gave
me advice.  So nothing other than thanking you for it was in order.
I just let myself get carried away by my annoyance with the Python
import scheme.  I'm sorry about it.  Even though I don't think I
can put to practice all of your advice, I can still learn a good
deal from it.

Cheers,

~kj

Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> writes:

>kj wrote:
>>
>>> First, I don't shadow built in modules. Its really not very hard to avoid.
>>
>> ...*if* you happen to be clairvoyant.  I still don't see how the rest of us
>> could have followed this fine principle in the case of numbers.py
>> prior to Python 2.6.
>>
>Clearly the more you know about the standard library the less likely
>this is to be a problem. Had you been migrqating from an earlier version
> the breakage would have alerted you to look for some version-dependent
>difference.

<snip>