Python and Ruby

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Wed Feb 3 01:20:18 EST 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steven at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> writes:

> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 23:11:49 -0600, John Bokma wrote:
>
>> Jonathan Gardner <jgardner at jonathangardner.net> writes:
>>
>>> I can explain, in an hour, every single feature of the Python language
>>> to an experienced programmer, all the way up to metaclasses,
>>
>> Either you're a hell of a talker, or I am far, far away from being an
>> experienced programmer. It's advocacy like this, IMO, that keeps people
>> away from a language, because you can't feel nothing but a failure after
>> a statement like this.
>
> Surely you're exaggerating?

No, because if I was I would've put a smiley there somewhere. I am
learning Python, for a time to be honest. I can manage in the language
quite well.

I consider myself quite an experienced Perl programmer, I have no
problems with the constructs Jonathan elsewhere in this thread claims to
have problems with after 10 years of professional Perl programming. They
come natural to me. But I don't see myself being able to understand
every Python feature in a talk of an hour *with* the current
understanding of Python I have (read halfway through Programming In
Python 3, read selected chapters on decorators, etc.).

> Without making any aspersions towards Jonathan either way, the Internet
> is full of both blowhards and geniuses. Anyone who lets the off-the-cup
> claims of either ruin their self-confidence is unlikely to be thinking
> about learning Python, they're probably sitting alone in a dark room
> staring as the walls close in.

I am quite serious about learning Python, I do write professionally in
it [1], but I am convinced that I need at least several months more of
studying to feel comfortable with most (not even all) of Python.

To me a much more relastic view on learning a programming language is:
http://norvig.com/21-days.html

[1] very small programs, and my customer is fully aware of that I am
    learning a new language but trust me, which is great.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/