How to guard against bugs like this one?

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Tue Feb 2 14:07:48 EST 2010

Carl Banks wrote:
> On Feb 2, 2:49 am, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmic... at sequans.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Carl Banks wrote:
>>
>>> Name your modules "send_email.py" or "sort_email.py" or if it's a
>>> library module of related functions, "email_handling.py".  Modules and
>>> scripts do things (usually), they should be given action words as
>>> names.
>>>
>>> (**) Questionable though it be, if the Standard Library wants to use
>>> an "innocuous" name, It can.
>>>
>> That does not solve anything,
>>

> Of course it does, it solves the problem of having poorly-named
> modules.  It also helps reduce possibility of name clashes.

Actually don't you think it will increase the possibility ? There are
much less possibilties of properly naming an object than badly naming it.
So if everybody tend to properly name their object with their obvious
version like you proposed, the set of possible names will decrease,
increasing the clash ratio.

I'm just nitpicking by the way, but it may be better to ask for better
namespacing instead of naming (which is good thing but unrelated to the
OP issue).

JM