Problems embedding python 2.6 in C++

Paul gobladoome at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 00:26:57 EST 2010

Thanks Gabriel,

I've managed to get it working and so far stable...

What wasn't working reliably:

mycppclass
   mycppclass::mycppclass()
       m_mypymodule = PyImport_Import(pModuleName)

  mycppclass::~ mycppclass()
      Py_XDECREF(m_mypymodule)

  mycppclass::callpy(funcname, args...)
      PyTuple_SetItem * args
      PyCallable_Check(func)
      PyObject_CallObject(func)

Current working version:

mycppclass
   mycppclass::mycppclass()
   {}

  mycppclass::~ mycppclass()
  {}

  mycppclass::callpy(funcname, args...)
      m_mypymodule = PyImport_Import(pModuleName)

      pyargs = PyTuple_SetItem * args
      PyCallable_Check(func)
      PyObject_CallObject(func,pyargs)

      Py_XDECREF(m_mypymodule)

So now the module is being imported each function call (luckily I don't have
to worry about performance)

I assume this means that the internal representation of the imported module
is being corrupted by something. I found another person with a similar issue
here:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-March/043306.html - that is
a long time ago but another multi-threaded app.

I'm happy to use the working method but I'd like to understand what is going
on a bit more. Can anyone shed any further light?

Regards,
Paul.