Python and Ruby

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Mon Feb 1 21:56:34 EST 2010

Nobody <nobody at nowhere.com> writes:

> On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 14:35:57 -0800, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
>
>>> If it was common-place to use Curried functions and partial application in
>>> Python, you'd probably prefer "f a b c" to "f(a)(b)(c)" as well.
>>
>> That's just the point. It isn't common to play with curried functions
>> or monads or anything like that in computer science today. Yes,
>> Haskell exists, and is a great experiment in how such a language could
>> actually work. But at the same time, you have to have a brain the size
>> of the titanic to contain all the little details about the language
>> before you could write any large-scale application.
>
> No, not really. Haskell (and previously ML) are often used as introductory
> languages in Comp.Sci. courses (at least in the UK).

At least in the early 90's this was also the case in the Netherlands, at
the University of Utrecht. We got Miranda/Gofer, and in a different,
more advanced course Linda (Miranda for parallel machines). Also the
inner workings of functional programming languages was a course. (Can't
recall the name of the book that was used, but it was quite good IMO).

I want to start (re)learning Haskell later this year, because I liked
Miranda/Gofer a lot back then.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/