SMTPServerDisconnected

Victor Subervi victorsubervi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 11:47:18 EST 2010

Hi;
I think the last main thing I have to do on my server is get a running email
server up. Now that I've nuked sendmail and given up on postfix, I'm back to
trying to get qmail up and running again. Of course, there are no active
discussion lists for *any* email server, so I have to turn here for help.
While running a script that worked perfectly well on another server to send
an email, I get the following error:

A problem occurred in a Python script. Here is the sequence of function
calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.

A problem occurred in a Python script. Here is the sequence of function
calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.

 /var/www/html/globalsolutionsgroup.vi/simplemail/mail2.py
   52 </head>
   53 <body>'''
   54 my_mail()
   55 print '''
   56 </body>
my_mail = <function my_mail>
 /var/www/html/globalsolutionsgroup.vi/simplemail/mail2.py in my_mail()
   33       to_address = ourEmail1,
   34       subject = subject,
   35       message = message
   36   ).send()
   37   Email(
message = 'Name: beno -\nMessage: test'
 /var/www/html/globalsolutionsgroup.vi/simplemail/simplemail.py in
send(self=<simplemail.Email object>)
  344         smtp = smtplib.SMTP()
  345         if self.smtp_server:
  346             smtp.connect(self.smtp_server)
  347         else:
  348             smtp.connect()
smtp = <smtplib.SMTP instance>, smtp.connect = <bound method SMTP.connect of
<smtplib.SMTP instance>>, self = <simplemail.Email object>, self.smtp_server
= 'localhost'
 /usr/lib64/python2.4/smtplib.py in connect(self=<smtplib.SMTP instance>,
host='localhost', port=25)
  305         if not self.sock:
  306             raise socket.error, msg
  307         (code, msg) = self.getreply()
  308         if self.debuglevel > 0: print>>stderr, "connect:", msg
  309         return (code, msg)
code undefined, msg = 'getaddrinfo returns an empty list', self =
<smtplib.SMTP instance>, self.getreply = <bound method SMTP.getreply of
<smtplib.SMTP instance>>
 /usr/lib64/python2.4/smtplib.py in getreply(self=<smtplib.SMTP instance>)
  349             if line == '':
  350                 self.close()
  351                 raise SMTPServerDisconnected("Connection unexpectedly
closed")
  352             if self.debuglevel > 0: print>>stderr, 'reply:',
repr(line)
  353             resp.append(line[4:].strip())
global SMTPServerDisconnected = <class smtplib.SMTPServerDisconnected>
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed
      args = ('Connection unexpectedly closed',)

I cannot find the qmail logs. I assumed they'd be in either
/var/qmail/supervise/qmail-send
or
/var/qmail/supervise/qmail-smtpd
but I find no logs there.

[SSH] Protocol Version 2 (OpenSSH_4.3)
[SSH] Cipher: aes128-cbc

Logged in (password)

Last login: Tue Feb 23 05:24:00 2010 from 66.248.168.67
[beno at 13gems ~]$ su
Password:
[root at 13gems beno]# man netstat
[root at 13gems beno]# netstat
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address               Foreign Address
State
getnameinfo failed
tcp        0    268 nrelectric.com:ssh          [UNKNOWN]:61912
ESTABLISHED
Active UNIX domain sockets (w/o servers)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node Path
unix  7      [ ]         DGRAM                    10842  /dev/log
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    10370
 @/org/kernel/udev/udevd
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    6077731
unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     6077679
unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     6077678
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    6077675
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    11556
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    11511
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    10990
[root at 13gems beno]#

How do I trouble-shoot this?
TIA,
beno