Can't Access ANY url from python (errno 61)

MattB mattbarkan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 16:48:47 EST 2010

Hey all,

I've been working on a program that accesses my school's password
protected website and downloads directory names. I'm using mechanize.

Recently, the program has been unable to open the website, returning
the 'errno 61 connection refused' error. I presume the school's server
was blocking me because of many automated logins.

However, it turns out that I cannot now open ANY url from within
Python on my computer using mechanize (or urllib for that matter).
And I've tried in several places -- my place, a friend's place (who
also has comcast as an ISP) and the school -- but no dice, constant
errno 61's whenever I try to open a url.

The strangest thing about this is that firefox still works flawlessly
on any site.

However, at my friend's place, I was able to open url's from HIS
computer, no problem.

Can anyone think of anything I can do to solve this problem? Why would
firefox be working fine but not Python?

Matt