How to measure elapsed time under Windows?

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Feb 9 11:10:56 EST 2010

What's the correct way to measure small periods of elapsed
time.  I've always used time.clock() in the past:

   start = time.clock()
   [stuff being timed]
   stop  = time.clock()

   delta = stop-start

However on multi-processor machines that doesn't work.
Sometimes I get negative values for delta.  According to
google, this is due to a bug in Windows that causes the value
of time.clock() to be different depending on which core in a
multi-core CPU you happen to be on.   [insert appropriate
MS-bashing here]

Is there another way to measure small periods of elapsed time
(say in the 1-10ms range)?

Is there a way to lock the python process to a single core so
that time.clock() works right?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! If I felt any more
                                  at               SOPHISTICATED I would DIE