Dynamic variable names

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar chyavana at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 06:32:14 EST 2010

Dear Folks,

I have read that one should use a dictionary in python to accommodate
dynamic variable names. Yet, I am puzzled how to achieve that in my
case. Here is what I want to do:

1. The user inputs a number of six-digit hex numbers as a
comma-separated list. These numbers represent colours, but the number of
colours is not known beforehand.

2. Using these colours in pairs, I am generating image files whose names
must be unique. I could use the respective hex numbers for this, but
would like to explore generating filenames like

colour_1-colour_2.jpg

Because I do not know how many colours there would be in advance, I need
to generate the colour_n names on the fly.

So, my two questions are:

1. How do I do this properly in python?

2. If there is a better scheme than what I have outlined, can someone
please point me to a Web link?

Thank you.

Chandra