Nagios

Robert sigzero at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 21:56:02 EST 2010

On 2010-12-31 16:52:30 -0500, Antoine Pitrou said:

> On 31 Dec 2010 04:20:59 GMT
> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:04:33 -0500, Robert wrote:
>>
>>> The
>>> second way the Tcl community irks me is the "not invented here"
>>> attitude. I like the syntax of Tcl and I like the community. They are
>>> some good folks. Try asking "I want to build a Nagios clone in Tcl" type
>>> question and invariably you get "Why? There is already Nagios?".
>>
>> You're the one who wants to re-write Nagios in Tcl, the Tcl community are
>> perfectly happy using the existing Nagios instead of re-inventing the
>> wheel, and you accuse *them* of suffering from NIH syndrome.
>
> Well, I don't know about Tcl but Nagios was re-written in Python:
> http://www.shinken-monitoring.org/features/
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.

It was forked to be written in Python, yes. The whole point (and it
wasn't a Nagios port to Tcl) was that the Tcl community (and I like the
Tcl community a lot) has a strange fixation with not reinventing the
wheel, even when the wheel would be in Tcl and it might give Tcl more
exposure. It is what it is though.

--
Robert