Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Adam Skutt askutt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 23:41:39 EST 2010

On Dec 30, 11:24 pm, rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The problem with wx is that it is BIG.  And so if we want something like
> > wx to be in the stdlib then it would have to be refactored so that there
> > was a small basic wx that was part of stdlib and then import
> > wx-the-whole-enchilada if you need heavy gui artillery.
>
> Exactly! All we need to do is replace the existing Tkinter with a
> small sub-set of wxPython widgets that mirrors exactly what we have
> now...
>
> Toplevel
> Label
> Entry
> Button
> Radiobutton
> Checkbutton
> Canvas
> Textbox
> Listbox
> Menu
> Scale
> Scrollbar
>
> ...thats all you need in the std library "widget wise". The rest of
> what makes up wx can exist in the  "wxPython Extension Library".
> Python needs this change! We have already made incompatible changes so
> now is the time to start seriously brainstorming on how we can
> integrate the beauty, elegance, and feature rich power of wxPython.

I have never, ever, made a GUI that consistent only of those options
excep when following a tutorial, sorry.  While I won't claim to stand
for anyone else, I'm hardly alone, judging by /every application
running on my desktop right now/.  Well, maybe notepad.

Interesting applications require interesting features.  Anything you
end up writing is going to be at least as complicated as TkInter for
the standard library, if not vastly more so, and have all of the same
faults you find in TkInter.  This would be because such problems are
fundamentally inescapable, a simple fact of reality you have yet to
even grasp, AFAICT, much yet acknowledge.

Adam