Tkinter accessability options (was Re: Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!)

python at bdurham.com python at bdurham.com
Thu Dec 30 13:05:48 EST 2010

Octavian,

> Not all the people were happy because the darkness disappeared partially for some of them and more and more blind people started to use a computer, and discovered that the Tk interfaces are absolutely inaccessible for them.

Might this package help? (I have no experience with this project)

Tka11y 0.1.1 - accessibility-aware Tkinter
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Tka11y

Another idea: Use Tkinters <Enter> events to speak TTS descriptions of
the current control and/or its contents?

I would love to hear from anyone using either of techniques ... or other
techniques or screen reader products ... to make their Tkinter
applications accessible to low vision/blind users.

Malcolm