Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 10:24:04 EST 2010

On Dec 30, 8:59 am, Kevin Walzer <k... at codebykevin.com> wrote:
> On 12/29/10 6:58 PM, rantingrick wrote:

> Any GUI framework is going to require at least some heavy lifting in C,
> C++ or Objective-C (depending on the platform). A pure-Python approach
> to GUI development is technically infeasible.

This is a very good point Kevin however i would much rather spend time
learning a language like C --which is hugely useful in many
contexts!-- than to waste one second of my time on a domain specific
language like TCl which is created only for drawing GUIs using Tk. I
think everyone can agree that learning C is of benefit far more
benefit to anyone in the programming field. Also one could argue that
C and Python are very similar. However Python and Tcl are like night
and day.

This monkey on our back (TclTk) is dead weight. We need to free
ourselves of this GUI prison and bring Python into the 21st century.
Tk is old and ugly. Tk is slow. Tk is incomplete and it will never be
complete or extensible within our community.

There is no OpenGL canvas readily available. Sure you can use Togl (as
i have successfully!) however Togl is old and unmaintained. Any GUI
library in this day and age must support opengl out of the box!

Look, losing Tkinter will be very painful for me as i have tons of
code written already. However the more i learn about Tkinter the more
i realize how Tkinter is a dead end street. Why let a rotting dinosaur
stagnate in the stdlib? Anybody that has foresight knows Tkinter is
dying and cannot be revived. It is time to move on. Tkinter served us
well for a time but we must let go and evolve -- lest we wither and
die ourselves!