Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Adam Skutt askutt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 08:53:52 EST 2010

On Dec 29, 7:48 pm, "Octavian Rasnita" <orasn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> First, the interface should look exactly as the native interfaces for each system named, and it should provide the same features, because otherwise the interface would look strange for all the users on all the operating systems.
> And of course, it should not only look OK, but it should also follow the accessibility standards for beeing accessible for screen readers also.

Which is where the contradiction comes into play: to use the actual
native widgets, you have to write some C (or Objective-C). Of course,
on Windows, people have faked the native widgets so many times that
you could probably get away with it if you made a really good fake,
though there are still a lot of gotchas that go with that
(accessibility and all that "other stuff").  On Linux, it's not like
there's really a standard anyway.  That leaves OS X as the really
troublesome one.

>WxPython is fast because it is made in C - it uses the native GUI elements of the OS which are also made in C. Would a Python - only GUI have the same speed? If yes, it would be great.

Speed is not even on the list of things I'd be worried about first.

Adam