Python - NAWIT / Community

flebber flebber.crue at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 06:24:53 EST 2010

On Dec 28, 10:16 pm, Adam Tauno Williams <awill... at whitemice.org>
wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 02:26 -0800, flebber wrote:
> > Can't help thinking they open sourced Pydev so they could bench it.
>
> So?  That isn't uncommon at all;  to Open Source when you've moved on.
>
> > I started thinking that the only consistent env each python person has
> > is idle as it ships in the install.
>
> There is a plethora of Python IDE's [personally I use Monodevelop, which
> supports Python, and is fast and stable].
>
> > Sometimes we can contribute with money and sometimes with time, if I
> > was to contribute money to ensure that I and all new coming python
> > programmers could have a first class development environment to use
> > what would I donate to? At the moment no particular group seems
> > applicable.
>
> Many projects accept donations via PayPal.  Sourceforge supports this.
>
> > Is pydev actively being developed and for who? SPE is a great idea but
> > is Stan still developing? Pyscripter is good but not 64 capable. Plus
> > none of these projects seem community centric.
>
> Why not just check the repo and see the real answer for yourself?  It is
> Open Source after all.
> <https://github.com/aptana/Pydev/commits/master>
>
> > Maybe its just my wish, maybe something already exists, but to my mind
> > why is there not a central python community ide or plugin setup like
> > pydev or using pydev(since currently it is very good - to me), which I
> > know or at least could confidently donate time or money to further
> > python.
>
> You could checkout the code of any Python IDE and hack on it.
>
> > I think a community plugin architecture which contained components
> > like pydev, pyscripter, eclipse and eggs/pypm packages would give a
> > place I can contribute time as my skills grow and confidently donate
> > money knowing I am assisting the development of community tools and
> > packages we all can use.
>
> So just do it.

Yes you can answer questions, but have you really? Your answer seems
to be things are open source so who cares about community.

> Many projects accept donations via PayPal.  Sourceforge supports this.

Of course any fool can throw his/her money away thats no challenge why
even use Paypal, I could have fun and by 10 bottles of vino and hand
them out to recovering alcoholics.

Don't answer things just for the sake of it, if you have nothing
producive to say about furthering python and its community then say
that.