compiling Python 2.7.1 with readline module fails on Debian (Virtualbox)

Benedict Verheyen benedict.verheyen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 20:16:52 EST 2010

On 23/12/2010 20:55, Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
> OK, I compiled it successfully under Debian 5.07 i386.
> ncurses and libreadline are compiled from hand, both --prefix=$HOME/usr/local.
> For python the only extra needed was export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your continued help, I appreciate it very much!

The reason why i want my own readline library is that i want to have
full control over what version gets used without messing with the
system wide libraries.

A difference between your system and mine is that i'm using amd64
instead of i386.

Anyway, i retried at home, completely clean system.
Built ncurses and readline with:
./configure --enable-shared --prefix=$HOME/usr/local
make
make install

Then for Python
./configure --enable-shared --prefix=$HOME/usr/local

And now i doesn't find the readline library.
I'm really lost now why it sometimes finds it and sometimes it doesn't.
Only difference with earlier is that I now used --prefix=$HOME/usr/local
So it's not installed system-wide.
Could that be the reason why it's not found?

Since you've managed to successfully build Python with readline
support, could you post the exact steps from building readline to
building Python?

I even edited /etc/ldconfig.conf.d/libc.conf to include
$HOME/usr/local/lib.
Then issued sudo ldconfig -v but no go.

Editing the Python Modules/Setup to uncomment the readline line doesn't
help either so that obviously doesn't work. Should it?
As said earlier, I added -L$HOME/usr/local/lib -I$HOME/usr/local/include
to the end of the line.

Thanks a lot,
Benedict