Python Web App

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 12:33:14 EST 2010

From: "Daniel Fetchinson" <fetchinson at googlemail.com>

>>> Why grashtly?
>>
>> I don't personally think the web makes a good framework for highly
>> interactive applications as they must work within the constraints of the
>> browser and IDEs are highly interactive applications by their very nature.
>> Perhaps HTML5/CSS3 will change things; but, standard DOM manipulation,
>> as I am accustomed to seeing it, cannot generate the kind of rendering
>> that is available from native applications.  Attempts to do so end up being
>> kludgy.
>>
>> It also cannot handle the kinds of desktop integrations that are common
>> for native applications without opening up serious security trust issues.
>> (Can everybody say ActiveX fiasco?)
>
> So, in essence, you are predicting that google's chrome OS will be a
> failure, right?

It will surely be. But it won't, because Google's monopoly in an important field will help it to promote that OS, not because that OS will be so great.

>> Finally, there are difficulties in handling keystrokes without conflicting
>> with the browser's native key bindings.  I seldom ever touch a mouse
>> and I am a huge fan of vi, mutt, slrn, screen, ratpoison, etc. where
>> the primary interface is totally accessable through the keyboard without
>> having to tab through many options.
>
> Well, implementing vi or other text based tools in the browser is
> trivial. I mean it will function in exactly the same way as a native
> vi.

Not exactly. Because not all the computer users can see, and the browsers don't offer the same accessibility features for screen readers as the standard GUIS.
(And Google's software is very poor in this field anyway.)

Octavian