compiling Python 2.7.1 with readline module fails on Debian (Virtualbox)

Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens stefan.sonnenberg at pythonmeister.com
Thu Dec 23 05:00:33 EST 2010

Am 23.12.2010 10:04, schrieb Benedict Verheyen:
> On 22/12/2010 18:47, Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens wrote:
>> Am 22.12.2010 09:33, schrieb Benedict Verheyen:
> <snip>
>> Did you try
>>
>> apt-get install build-essential
>> apt-get build-dep python2.7
>>
>> before trying to compile ?
>>
>> Anyway, the config.log file is always of special interest.
>> Btw, which Debian release are you running ?
>> If the system is set up correctly it should not be necessary to change env vars to get it built.
>>

> I use Debian stable so "apt-get build-dep python2.7" doesn't work.
> I removed all installed Python 2.7.1 files and so on and tried to build/install from scratch.
> Now i can't get Python to find the readline library.
> What is the normal procedure to make sure the readline library is found?
>
> I downloaded readline 6.1, build it and installed it to $HOME/local
> $HOME/local/lib contains libreadline.so.
>
> I did the following to try to enable detection of the libreadline:
>
> - export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> - vi Modules/Setup and uncomment the line that specifies the readline module.
>    Added -L$HOME/local/lib
> - Tried ./configure with env CPPFLAGS="-I$HOME/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/local/lib"
> - Edit setup.py, to add_dirs to $HOME/local/include and $HOME/local/lib
> - Tried to export CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
>
> Nothing seems to work.
> What am i doing wrong?
>
> Cheers,
> Benedict

apt-get build-dep python 2.6
should do, the dependencies haven't changed (IMHO).
Then wipe away $HOME/usr/local (if you can, btw),
reset all env vars to default (perhaps reboot).
Then untar python from scratch, cd into that dir, and type
./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr/local
make
make install

that should be all.
Otherwise your box is somewhat messed up.

Anyway, your config.log is of special interest (did I say that already ?)