Modifying an existing excel spreadsheet

Ed Keith e_d_k at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 16:56:02 EST 2010

I have a user supplied 'template' Excel spreadsheet. I need to create a new excel spreadsheet based on the supplied template, with data filled in.

I found the tools here http://www.python-excel.org/,  and http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyexcelerator/. I have been trying to use the former, since the latter seems to be devoid of documentation (not even any docstrings).

My first thought was to copy the template, open the copy, modify it and save the modifications. But it looks like if I open an existing spreadsheet it must be read only. So I tried to  open the template, copy it to a new spreadsheet and write the new spreadsheet, but I can't seem to copy the images, and it looks like copying the formatting is going to be difficult.

Can anyone give me any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance,

   -EdK

Ed Keith