How can I intentionally crash my lappy?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Dec 20 09:09:58 EST 2010

Am 20.12.2010 09:45, schrieb mechtheist:
> I am no programmer, but know the rudiments [the rudi'est of rudiments]
> of working with Python.  I have a simple need,  to have a simple
> script/app I can run that will crash my PC.  On my desktops, I can
> always hit the reset, but that is not an option with my laptop.  Can
> anyone tell me of an easy way to guarantee a program will instantly
> kill/BSOD my windows7/64bit laptop?

Do you want to crash it or are you looking for a way to restart Windows?
Every modern operating system tries very hard (and successful) to
prevent users from messing with the system. You have two choices. Either
you ask the OS politely to restart (e.g. shutdown -r -f -t 1) or you
need some sort of STONITH device (e.g. IPMI card, watchdog, other node
fencing device, multi-plug with network interface).

Christian