subprocess.Popen() and a .msi installer

Sebastian Alonso alon.sebastian at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 17:57:28 EST 2010

Hey everyone, I'm working on a script which uses subprocess to launch a
bunch of installers, but I'm getting problems with .msi installers although
.exe ones work fine. The output I get is this:

>>> import subprocess
>>> p = subprocess.Popen('python.msi')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in <module>
p = subprocess.Popen('python.msi')
File "C:\Python25\lib\subprocess.py", line 593, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File "C:\Python25\lib\subprocess.py", line 793, in _execute_child
startupinfo)
WindowsError: [Error 8] %1 no es una aplicación Win32 válida

Has this ever happen to any of you? The idea is to get this running, make it
an exe (with py2exe) and use it whenever I need to install my whole
development environment in the right order.

Thanks in advance to all of you.

Alonso Sebastian.