PyUNO [Was: Read / Write OpenOffice SpreadSheet ?]

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Fri Dec 17 11:35:52 EST 2010

Adam Tauno Williams, 17.12.2010 17:02:
> On Fri, 2010-12-17 at 10:19 +0100, Torsten Mohr wrote:
>> Thanks, i read about it but as i understood it, UNO needs Python 2.3.x and
>> i'd like to base on something actual.
>
> I do not *believe* this is true.
>
> <http://pypi.python.org/pypi/cloudooo/1.0.9>  for instance is Python 2.6
> and uses PyUNO.

The Python installation can be replaced. Last I heard, many Linux distros
used the platform Python, for example, instead of shipping an embedded one
with OOo.

> I would strongly recommend against floundering about in OOo's very
> complex XML files - it is trivially easy to render a document unusable.

True. It's not so much of a problem to read them, but writing a correct
document can be tricky. What works relatively well is to write a template
document in OOo and do programmatic replacements in it. But that's not
guaranteed to work, either.

Stefan