Read / Write OpenOffice SpreadSheet ?

Tim Harig usernet at ilthio.net
Thu Dec 16 20:53:20 EST 2010

On 2010-12-17, Torsten Mohr <tmohr at s.netic.de> wrote:
> i search for a possibility to access OpenOffoce SpreadSheets from Python
> with a reasonably new version of Python.
>
> Can anybody point me to a package that can do this?

There is no package needed to read or write the new open document files.
The files are merely a jar archive containing XML files.  You can open
and update them using jar as a subprocess and manipulate the XML files
using your favorite XML libraries DOM/SAX/XPath/Etree/etc.

If that doesn't suit you, you can manipulate them using OO.org through its
UNO interface; but, I find that much more involved then simply accessing
the files directly.