Dealing with pywin32 on Linux

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Dec 15 09:17:13 EST 2010

On 12/15/2010 8:51 AM, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
> On 15/12/2010 14:37, Tim Golden wrote:
>
>> Well I'm not sure how far something like WINE would take you,
>> but I suggest that trying to develop Windows-specific code in
>> a Linux Dev environment is creating a rod for your own back.
>>
>> For the specific case you mention, you should be able to switch,
>> lock, stock & barrel to python-ldap or other LDAP modules. But
>> that means a fairly major rewrite, plus that's only one issue.
>> None of the Windows-specific stuff will work: registry, win32api
>> calls, whatever you're pulling out of the pywin32 packages.
>>
>> TJG
>
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your answer.
> For the moment, i only need to connect to AD to authenticate.
> But you raise a good point that if I need more functionality, I will encounter problems.

Benedict:

Have you considered running a virtual Windows machine to handle the
specific issues that really require a Windows environment? If the
and of course Python user VMWare has a full range of industrial-grade
solutions for virtualization.

regards
 Steve
PyCon 2011 Atlanta March 9-17       http://us.pycon.org/