packaging and installing

Brian Blais bblais at bryant.edu
Mon Dec 13 12:16:49 EST 2010

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any standard or suggested way of installing packages *without* going to the commandline.  I often have students who, from there experience in Windows, have never looked at the commandline before and it is a bit of a challenge to get them to install something (i.e. go to the commandline, cd over to the proper folder, type python setup.py install, etc...).  I've never seen a package with something like a "compileme.bat", but was wondering if there is some suggested way of doing this or some reasons *not* to do this.  I can always write my own (1-line) .bat file, but I didn't want to reinvent the wheel.  Perhaps there is a better way for me to do this, ideally in a platform independent way.

		thanks,

			Brian Blais

--
Brian Blais