Which non SQL Database ?

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 18:59:31 EST 2010

On Dec 4, 6:43 pm, Jorge Biquez <jbiq... at icsmx.com> wrote:
> At 05:02 p.m. 04/12/2010, you wrote:
>

> >Jorge Biquez <jbiq... at icsmx.com> writes:
>
> > > Hello all.
>
> > > Newbie question. Sorry.
>
> > > As part of my process to learn python I am working on two personal
> > > applications. Both will do it fine with a simple structure of data
> > > stored in files. I now there are lot of databases around I can use but
> > > I would like to know yoor advice on what other options you would
> > > consider for the job (it is training so no pressure on
> > > performance). One application will run as a desktop one,under Windows,
> > > Linux, Macintosh, being able to update data, not much, not complex,
> > > not many records. The second application, running behind  web pages,
> > > will do the same, I mean, process simple data, updating showing
> > > data. not much info, not complex. As an excersice it is more than
> > > enough I guess and will let me learn what I need for now.
> > > Talking with a friend about what he will do (he use C only) he suggest
> > > to take a look on dBase format file since it is a stable format, fast
> > > and the index structure will be fine or maybe go with BD (Berkley)
> > > database file format (I hope I understood this one correctly) . Plain
> > > files it is not an option since I would like to have option to do
> > > rapid searches.
>
> > > What would do you suggest to take a look? If possible available under
> > > the 3 plattforms.
>
> >Have you considered sqlite3? It is part of the Python standard library.
> >It'll work under GNU/Linux, Windows and Mac OSX.  For more details see:
>
> >    http://docs.python.org/library/sqlite3.html
>
> >--
> >Arnaud
> >--
>
> Hello all.
>
> Ok. sqlite3 seems like it is the best option since it is part of
> python already.... you are right of course.
>
> I do not see a good reason for not using Sqlite3 BUT if for some
> reason would not be an option.... what plain schema of files would
> you use? I am sorry to insist. I do not know much about the size tha
> using Sqlite adds to the application but the idea is that the ,
> application, single user for desktop yes, will be the smallest it can
> be since the idea is to distribute the executable only. (all this is
> to have a prototype I have done in other language)

SQlite itself is around 300 kilobytes.  That's negligible.  It is also
already in Python, so you'd have to purposefully exclude it in
creating your executable to save those 300 kb and thus the 1/13th of a
second additional time it would take average (3.9 MB/s) users to
download your app if it were included.