Comparison with False - something I don't understand

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Sat Dec 4 12:41:15 EST 2010

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 17:07:45 +0000 (UTC)
Harishankar <v.harishankar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course not. But going by the replies here, it appears that Python has
> made exceptions as the "norm" for error handling which is ironical
> considering the meaning of the word "exception". I find a bit cumbersome
> that exceptions are advocated for certain conditions which can be sanely
> worked around in the application's logic and even avoided, rather than
> waiting for them to get caught and providing an unsatisfactory result.

It just seems to me that you have a semantic issue rather than a
technical one.  If the word "exception" was replaced by "check" or
something else would that make the process easier to swallow?

  try:
    somefunc()
  check ValueError:
    handle_error()

Whatever it's called it's just flow control.

> > Quite often it's impossible for the function to know what needs to be
> > done when a specific conditions arises, in which case (presumably) you
> > have to return some error code and test for that ...
>
> Not necessarily. I wasn't talking about low-level or built-in exceptions.
> I was talking about using exceptions in my programming where often the
> function is reasonably confident of the kind of errors it is likely to
> incur. I did not start this as a criticism of Python's exceptions as
> such. I just expressed my personal aversion to using them in my own code.
>
> However, in my next project I have started using exceptions and will keep
> an open mind on how it turns out. So far it doesn't seem too bad.

Open minds are good.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves