Comparison with False - something I don't understand

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Fri Dec 3 02:25:15 EST 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:
>> There are better ways to handle errors than Python's exception system.
> I'm curious -- what ways would they be?
> I'm aware of three general exception handling techniques: ...
> What else is there?

The Erlang approach is to chop the application into a lot of very
lightweight processes, and let any process that encounters an error
simply crash.  A monitoring process notices the crashed process and
restarts it.  There is a "supervision tree" of uber-monitor processes
that restart crashed monitor proceses.  I haven't programmed in that
style myself and I'm not persuaded that it's better than what Python
does, but I think it's different from the stuff on your list, which is
an answer to your "what else is there".  I do know that they write some
complex, very high reliability systems (phone switches) in Erlang.