Comparison with False - something I don't understand

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Thu Dec 2 13:41:13 EST 2010

On 02/12/2010 18:09, Paul Rubin wrote:
> MRAB<python at mrabarnett.plus.com>  writes:
>> When writing the C code for the new regex module I thought that it
>> would've been easier if I could've used exceptions to propagate errors
>> and unwind the stack, instead of having to return an error code which
>> had to be checked by the caller, and then have the caller explicitly
>> return an error code to /its/ caller.
>
> That's called longjmp.

The problem with that is that the caller might have to do some tidying
up, such as deallocation.

Exceptions give the caller the chance of catching it (ideally in a
'finally' block), tidying up, and then propagating.

>> Automatic garbage collection would also have been nice.
>
> alloca might help.

I didn't know about that.

It looks like that's allocated on the stack, and the allocation I'm
talking must be on the heap, so it's not suitable anyway.