Stackless Python and EVE Online

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 31 19:33:12 EDT 2010

On 8/31/2010 11:10 AM, Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 31, 2010, Roman Sokolyuk<romsok.tech at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am new to Python and I wanted to understand something...
>> The EVE Online Client is build using Stackless Python
>> So when I install the client on my machine, how doe sit get run if I do not have Python installed?
>>
> We call it "freezing" the program. There are several tools that do
> this with py2exe being the most popular. These tools create an
> executable that includes a bundled python interpreter along with all
> the scripts and modules needed to run the program.

Bundling Python with an app adds a few megabytes, depending on how many
modules are included. For a 10K script, that is a big nuisance. For a
100M+ app, it is trivial.

While I have not yet tried Eve, both for lack of a good enough machine
and fear of having my life sucked away, it has been a positive for
Python. Beyond the publicity, Eve is a pretty good stress test, and they
have contributed a few bug reports and patches back to the core.

--
Terry Jan Reedy