Saving (unusual) linux filenames

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Aug 31 14:49:33 EDT 2010

On 2010-08-31, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 31/08/2010 17:58, Grant Edwards wrote:

>>> You could use a tab character '\t' instead.
>>
>> That just breaks with a different set of filenames.
>>
> How many filenames contain control characters?

How many filenames contain ","?  Not many, but the OP wants his
program to be bulletproof.  Can't fault him for that.

If I had a nickle for every Unix program or shell-script that failed
when a filename had a space it it....

> Surely that's a bad idea.

Of course it's a bad idea.  That doesn't stop people from doing it.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! !  Now I understand
                                  at               advanced MICROBIOLOGY and