python+sqlite3 in memory database

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Mon Aug 30 15:51:34 EDT 2010

Denis Gomes <denisg640 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hey Benjamin,
>
>  Take a look at this website I found about cached and in-memory databases.  I
think the gist of the article is that caching is good if you are doing SELECTs
on data that is frequently used whereas in-memory speeds up writes, (inserts and
updates) to the db as well as querying. Maybe I am missing something?

Well, of course, but there's little point to doing INSERTs and UPDATEs if you
don't write them to disk at some point. You could just have a long running
transaction which will not write to the database file (though depending on how
you have sqlite setup it may write to a journal file) until you commit it.