Problem checking an existing browser cookie

Νίκος nikos.the.gr33k at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 21:14:55 EDT 2010

On 29 Αύγ, 21:44, MRAB <pyt... at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 29/08/2010 06:34, Νίκος wrote:

> >> Print out mycookie, repr(mycookie.value) (unless mycookie is None) and
> >> repr(host). Then follow the code yourself to see whether the condition
> >> is True.
>
> > print mycookie outputs 'None'
>
> > Thts weird because i check with the browser and the cookie is there!
>
> Just because you can see it doesn't mean your code can.
>
> > print repr(host) outputs '78-236-176.adsl.cyta.gr'
>
> > repr(mycookie.value) (unless mycookie is None)
>
> > and also
>
> > print mycookie.value gives an error too. Maybe there is not a value
> > method?
>
> If mycookie is None, then it's not surprising that doesn't have 'value'.
>
> In summary, mycookie is None, so:
>
>      mycookie and mycookie.value != 'nikos'
>
> is false (actually None, which is treated as false).
>
> host == '78-236-176.adsl.cyta.gr', so:
>
>      re.search(r'(cyta|yandex|13448|spider|crawl)', host)
>
> finds 'cyta' and the search returns a match.
>
> false or false == false
>
> blabla... isn't executed.

Lets forget the 2nd or argument, ill put it off

so we have this now

if ( mycookie and mycookie.value != 'nikos' ):
    #do stuff as long as there ins't a cookie names visitor with a
value of nikos in the broswer

What does it mean practically that the mycookie equals to None?
That mycookie doesnt exist?

How should i write this if block to mkake sure it checks whether or
not the cookie exists?