ftplib limitations?

Sat Aug 28 07:22:14 EDT 2010

In message <4C78CC0D.8050606 at sschwarzer.net>, Stefan Schwarzer wrote:

> In message <i59iug$eup$2 at lust.ihug.co.nz>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>> It might not be the fault of the FTP server. If you’re going through a
>> router doing NAT, that could be where the timeout is happening.
>
> Good point, thanks! That may explain why it's a low-level
> socket error instead of a 4xx timeout message from the
> server which I would have expected.

The reason why I thought of it was because it kept happening to me back when
I was using a D-Link DSL-500 to provide my ADSL connection. Unfortunately...

> If it's the router, the OP might try to change their router
> settings to get rid of the problem.

... if they’re using a typical consumer ADSL router box like the above, they
may not have any NAT table timeout settings to play with to cure the
problem. I certainly couldn’t find any in mine.

In my case, I solved the problem by using a Linux box as my router.