Iterative vs. Recursive coding

BartC bartc at freeuk.com
Wed Aug 25 04:22:41 EDT 2010

"Steven D'Aprano" <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote in message
news:4c6f8edd$0$28653$c3e8da3 at news.astraweb.com...
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:23:23 +0200, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

>> I onced worked in a shop (Win32 desktop / accouting applications mainly)
>> where I was the only guy that could actually understand recursion. FWIW,
>> I also was the only guy around that understood "hairy" (lol) concepts
>> like callback functions, FSM, polymorphism, hashtables, linked lists,
>> ADTs, algorithm complexity etc...
>

> Was there anything they *did* understand, or did they just bang on the
> keyboard at random until the code compiled? *wink*

You underestimate how much programming (of applications) can be done without
needing any of this stuff.

>> Needless to say, I didn't last long !-)
>
> And rightly so :)

I guess they wanted code that could be maintained by anybody.

--
Bartc

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news at netfront.net ---