seach for pattern based on string

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Tue Aug 24 17:05:50 EDT 2010

On Aug 24, 5:33 pm, richie05 bal <richie8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> i am starting to learn python and I am stuck with query I want to
> generate with python
> File looks something like this
> TRACE: AddNewBookD {bookId 20, noofBooks 6576, authorId 41,
> publishingCompanyId 7}
> TRACE: AddNewBookD {bookId 21, noofBooks 6577, authorId 42,
> publishingCompanyId 8}
>
> I want to first search for AddNewBookD
> if found
>    store bookId, noofBooks, authorId and publishingCompanyId
>
> I know how to search for only AddNewBookD or find the pattern bookId
> 20, noofBooks 6576, authorId 41, publishingCompanyId 7 but I don't
> know how search one based on another.

Using a regular expression I would perform a match against each line.
If the match fails, it will return None. If the match succeeds it
returns a match object with which you can extract the values

>>> import re
>>> pattern = re.compile(r'TRACE: AddNewBookD \{bookId (\d+), noofBooks (\d+), authorId (\d+), publishingCompanyId (\d+)\}\s*')
>>> s = '''TRACE: AddNewBookD {bookId 20, noofBooks 6576, authorId 41, publishingCompanyId 7} '''
>>> pattern.match(s)
<_sre.SRE_Match object at 0xa362f40> # If the match failed this would
be None
>>> m = pattern.match(s)
>>> m.groups()
('20', '6576', '41', '7')

So your code to store the result would be inside an if m: block

HTH, Alex