Proper set-up for a co-existant python 2.6 & 3.1 installation

vsoler vicente.soler at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 19:08:17 EDT 2010

On 24 ago, 00:55, "Martin v. Loewis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > I tried to change file associations, first manually, in a CMD window.
> > But the system was responding "access denied" even when I used an
> > Administrator account (I was using FTYPE python.file="C:
> > \Python26\python.exe" "%1" %*).
>
> That works, in principle. Put that command into py26.bat, then, in
> Explorer, Run As Administrator. Make sure to double-escape the percent
> signs.
>
> Alternatively, you can also write a program that writes to
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER; that would take precedence over HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

When I am logged-in in a session as an administrator, the BAT file on
the Desktop, and I double-click on it, it does not work.

However, if instead of double-clicking on the BAT file, I enter the
Explorer and I run the BAT file as administrator, then something seems
to start working. Excellent!

When you say to double-escape the percent signs, do you mean that in
my BAT file I should write...

    FTYPE python.file="C:\Python26\python.exe" "%%1" %%*

and the inverted commas around %%*, are they not necessary?

Vicente Soler