psycopg2 for insertion of binary data to PostgreSQL database

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Sat Aug 21 17:49:04 EDT 2010

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 22:58:00 +0200
Julia Jacobson <julia.jacobson at arcor.de> wrote:
> For the insertion of pictures into my PostgreSQL database [with table
> foo created by SQL command "CREATE TABLE foo (bmp BYTEA)], I've written
> the following script:
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
> import psycopg2
> try:
>      conn = psycopg2.connect("dbname='postgres' user='postgres'
> host='localhost' password='data'");
> except:
>      print "I am unable to connect to the database"

First, bare excepts are a bad idea.  Figure out what exception you
expect to catch and catch that one.

In this case, start by removing the try/except altogether and see what
the traceback says.  That may explain your problem right off the bat.
If it doesn't then repost with the traceback.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves