Python "why" questions

Russ P. russ.paielli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 15:31:36 EDT 2010

On Aug 20, 11:19 am, geremy condra <debat... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure what you read, but for me (mostly number theory, numerical
> analysis, and abstract algebra) zero-based indexing is quite common.

My background is in aerospace control engineering. I am certainly not
familiar with the literature in pure mathematics, but I assume that
the math textbooks I used on college used standard mathematical
notation.

If one-based indexing is becoming more common in the literature, I'll
bet that is only because it is so widely used in computer programming
-- not because the writers decided independently that it is a better
notation. But that's just a guess on my part.